Happy 2015 everyone!!
On top of the beginning of this year, it is also the ONE YEAR anniversary of
Love & Grub!
It has been so much fun and such a joy to write in this little blog. I never knew how much it would change me.
I am forever grateful for all the positive feedback and love that I’ve gotten from my family, friends and people who have tried my recipes! I can’t even begin to explain how appreciative I am because this blog has given so much to me in the process.
1. It helped me step way out of my comfort zone. It is SCARY to post your thoughts to the public but the more I posted, the easier it got. In the process, I’ve gained confidence in myself and am less fearful of sharing my ideas with others.
2. I have become a way better cook. When I started blogging, and even before that, I would overcook stuff a lot, or over/under season. I’ve tried new ingredients, new techniques and new styles of cooking which has totally expanded my skills.
3. I have the best relationship with food ever. I truly never thought I would be able to eat like I do. As I’ve mentioned before, it all about loving what you eat.
So thank you all for your encouragement and for following me on this journey!
Now, onto the cooking…
I had a request to add a fried rice recipe by one of my best friends, which also happens to be something I make ALL the time so I thought it was the perfect recipe to start the new year off with.
I love stir frying for many reasons but especially because it is a great way to use up what you have!
It is also a way to give veggies that savory and comforting flavor we all love. By adding the soy sauce and spices, it adds so much to the veggies that can often become bland or not exciting.
Plus, it is so versatile! You can literally add anything to these and it will (likely) still be good! It can be totally vegan, you can add tofu, or you can add some chicken, shrimp, steak. You can add only veggies you like, and try different ones out. It is a perfect “make it how you love it” recipe!
Let’s get to it!
Stir-Fry Veggie Brown Rice
- 1 1/2 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 2-3 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped purple cabbage
- 1/2 cup sliced carrots
- 1/4 cup broccoli florets
- 1/2 bell pepper sliced
- 1-2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 2 cloves garlic minced or pressed (using garlic press)
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 2 pinches cayenne pepper
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- Start by heating up the olive oil on medium heat in a large saute pan. Begin with the mushrooms, and cook about 4 minutes.
- Add garlic and stir, until garlic is fragrant, about 1 min. Deglaze (and add some moisture) with a drop or two of soy sauce. Stir and immediately add cabbage, carrots and peppers. Cook about 2 minutes then add the sesame oil.
- Stir and cook another 4-5 minutes until the veggies have softened, then add the broccoli. Once they turn a bright green color, add the spinach, ginger, cayenne and pepper. Stir until the spinach has wilted.
- Once the spinach has mostly wilted, add the brown rice and soy sauce. Cook while stirring for about 1-2 minutes.
There you have it! How beautiful are those colors?! Serve with sesame seeds, fresh herbs like cilantro or some sliced scallions or however you love it!
As always and more than ever..
Lots of LOVE,