I recently tasted steamed green beans at work one day and I was seriously hooked! I buy the steam-able bags and either eat them, literally straight of out the bag, or toss them in this ridiculously good sauce, like this tangy, spicy peanut sauce!
Before we get into it, I want to talk about black vinegar, which I searched near and far for.
I found it in an Asian super market but was unable to find it anywhere else locally. It has a malt flavor, slightly tangy and a little sweet. I realize not everyone has the time or desire to go searching, so I found this substitute ratio which I also included in the ingredient list below! You can also just use rice vinegar.
Spicy Peanut Tofu And Green Beans
Tofu and Greenbeans
- 1 block extra firm tofu 16oz
- 1 bag frozen green beans steamed (12oz bag)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
Spicy Peanut Sauce
- 1 tbsp creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp black or rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp hoisin
- 1/2 tbsp chili oil
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp honey
- 1 tbsp water
- pinch salt and pepper
- pinch red chili flakes
- 1 tsp sesame seeds for garnish (optional)
- Remove tofu from packaging and drain all liquid. Wrap tofu in kitchen towel or paper towels and cover with heavy pot lid. Let sit for 30 minutes to allow majority of liquid to be squeezed out.
- Combine ingredients for sauce, mix and set aside.
- Remove towel from tofu and slice into small cubes.
- On medium-high heat, heat up olive oil and pan-fry tofu until golden, mixing often.
- When tofu turns golden color on all sides, add green beans. Season with salt&pepper to taste. Add sauce, stir to combine and remove from heat. Serve with sesame seeds on top.
There you have it!
The green beans are crunchy with a hint of sweetness, combined with this sauce and the tofu, make for a savory and spicy dish!You can eat this with rice or noodles, or have it as a side dish!
It would be delicious with a drizzle of sriracha or your favorite hot sauce, or even some chopped peanuts for an extra crunch.
However you do it, make it how you love it and as always, I hope you enjoy!
Lots of LOVE,