Happy Saturday! It has been a little while since I’ve updated on here, but it has been (as usual) a busy time!
I am just about halfway through my dietetic internship, which is sort of insane. It honestly feels like I just started but looking back, I have already learned so much. Kinda awesome.
One of the cool things about being a dietitian is that there are so many different specialities or areas you can go into. And with each one, there tends to be a specific emphasis on one or a few different nutrients.
One of the foods I definitely feel like I don’t eat often is seafood, especially fish which has incredibly healthy omega-3 fats. It’s not that I don’t like it, I just don’t usually crave it.
Also, it’s kind of expensive sometimes. So I decided to try making some salmon burgers, but instead of using fresh salmon, I used canned salmon.
That’s right, canned salmon.
Ok, I know it sounds kind of weird but then I thought about it, and it is not much different than eating canned tuna.
Does that mean you HAVE to use canned salmon? Of course not! You can absolutely use fresh salmon. However, these tasted AMAZING, canned salmon and all.
So without further ado, let’s get cooking!
Baked Salmon Burgers
- 2, 5 oz cans canned salmon If using fresh, aim for about 10oz
- 1/4 cup finely chopped bell pepper
- 1/2 stalk celery finely chopped
- 1/2 carrot finely chopped
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1/2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp hot sauce
- 1/4 tsp onion powder, salt, ground black pepper, smoked paprika, garlic powder
- 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. If using fresh salmon, cook however desired. Let cool, then shred. If using canned, drain cans thoroughly and add salmon into a bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Shape salmon into burgers about the size of the palm of your hand. Should make 4 burgers total.
- Add to a greased baking pan (I used spray oil). Bake for 25 minutes.
And there you have it!
You can eat these any way you like, but the 2 ways that I would suggest are either over an arugula salad or topped with some tummy tarter sauce.
Make it how you love it, and as always, I hope you enjoy!
Lots of LOVE,