We usually buy lots of veggies early in the week but by the time the weekend rolls around, I find we only have little bits or halves left. Which is where this tasty breakfast came from…I looked in my fridge yesterday morning and found broccoli, cauliflower, carrots and radishes. Although I love carrots and radishes, I didn’t really think they were going to work for my breakfast. So I took the cauliflower and broccoli, spiced them up and sautéed them for this delicious breakfast skillet.
But it needed something else…some cheese.
I love adding cheese whenever I can, so when the Recipe Redux offered a challenge using Real California Milk products, I knew that whatever I was going to make was probably going to involve cheese.
Did you know that California is the country’s leading producer of milk, ice cream, butter, nonfat dry milk and whey protein?It is also the second largest producer of cheese and yogurt, and 99% of California dairies are family-owned, which makes supporting them that much more important!
Plus, you don’t have to live in California in order to get their products! You can find the seal on the product that’ll state Real California Milk or Real California Cheese.
Let’s get cooking!
Broccoli & Cauliflower Breakfast Skillet
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup crumbled Real Califonia Cheese Queso Fresco
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cauliflower thinly sliced
- 1 head broccoli thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp coarse salt
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp chopped chives optional
- Heat large saute pan or cast-iron skillet on medium heat with 1 tbsp olive oil. When the pan is nice and hot, add cauliflower. Saute about 3-5 minutes until the cauliflower begins to brown.
- Lower heat to medium-low, add broccoli and remaining 1/2 tbsp olive oil. You can add a drop of water to have a steaming effect which will help cook the veggies.
- Add spices (smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper) and stir.
- Using a spoon, create 4 circles to make space for the eggs. Gently break in 4 eggs into the circles.
- Allow to cook until the egg whites are cooked with the yolk still intact. Add Real California Cheese Queso Fresco and season eggs with pinch of salt and pepper.
- Garnish with chopped chives and serve!
Delicious and beautiful! Nothing better than a creamy yolk, which provides a delicious sauce. Eat with a slice of whole grain toast, or just the eggs on their own! You can also top with some hot sauce, just like I did. This would be delicious with some fresh cilantro, if you don’t like chives! The herbs give it some extra freshness. However you do it, make it how you love it!
Hope you enjoy!
Lots of LOVE,